Southern Sweet Potato Casserole Crumble
Indulge in the rich, comforting flavors of the South with this Southern Sweet Potato Casserole Crumble. This classic dish combines the natural sweetness of baked sweet potatoes with a decadent crumbly topping, creating a soul-warming treat that’s perfect for family gatherings and holiday feasts. The addition of pecans and warm spices adds layers of complexity to this beloved Southern favorite.
For the Sweet Potato Base:
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the Crumbly Topping:
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- Prepare the Sweet Potatoes:
- Cover the sweet potatoes with foil and bake in the oven at 350°F for 1 1/2 hours or until soft. Once baked, allow them to cool slightly.
- Make the Sweet Potato Base:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the peeled and baked sweet potatoes with sugar, eggs, milk, cinnamon, softened butter, and vanilla extract. Mash the ingredients well until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Assemble the Casserole:
- Pour the sweet potato mixture into a baking dish, spreading it evenly.
- Prepare the Crumbly Topping:
- In a separate bowl, mix brown sugar, flour, pecan pieces, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and softened butter. Ensure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Layer the Topping:
- Spread the crumbly topping over the sweet potato mixture, covering the entire casserole evenly.
- Bake the casserole uncovered at 350°F for 30 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and crisp.
- Optional Marshmallows:
- If desired, add mini marshmallows on top of the crumble 10 minutes before removing the casserole from the oven.
- Allow Cooling Time:
- Allow the casserole to cool for 15-20 minutes before serving. This helps it set up for a better consistency.
- Extra Crunch:
- For an added crunch, consider using 2 cups of pecans in the topping mixture.
- Brown Sugar Sprinkle:
- If the topping doesn’t completely cover the casserole before baking, sprinkle a little brown sugar over it to fill in the gaps.
- This recipe is freezer-friendly, making it an excellent option for meal prepping. Simply follow the recommended freezing instructions for later use.
Embrace the warmth of the South with every spoonful of this Southern Sweet Potato Casserole Crumble, where the creamy sweet potato base meets the irresistible crunch of the spiced pecan topping. It’s a timeless dish that’s sure to become a cherished part of your family gatherings.