Southern Potato Salad is super creamy with a blend of mayonnaise and mustard, hard-boiled eggs, sweet onion, sweet pickle relish, and celery. It is a potluck must and the only recipe for potato salad you need.
I start my Southern Potato Salad with regular russet potatoes. I cut any large ones in half so that they cook faster and I don’t bother peeling them until they’re done cooking.
Then it’s really easy to scrape the skin off with a knife.
- 3 pounds medium russet potatoes
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, 3 chopped and 1 sliced
- Cut each potato in half. Place in a large pot and cover with 1 inch of water. Add 2 teaspoons of salt and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer until fork tender all the way through, about 20 minutes. Drain well. Let cool and then peel and discard the skins.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl. Run a knife through them until they are cut into bite-sized pieces. In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, sugar, and onion powder.
- Pour over potatoes and mix in well. Add relish, celery, onion, and the chopped eggs. Mix in. Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with sliced egg and sprinkle with paprika.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.