Homemade KFC Famous Bowl Casserole
For the Mashed Potatoes:
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Casserole Layers:
- 2 cups corn (you can use canned, frozen, or fresh)
- 1 pound Tyson Any’tizers Popcorn Chicken
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
For the Gravy:
- 1 cup beef or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Homemade Mashed Potatoes:
- Place the potato chunks in a large pot of salted water. Boil them until they are fork-tender, usually for about 15-20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Add the butter and milk, and mash the potatoes until they’re smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Assemble the Casserole:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a 9×13-inch baking dish, start by spreading an even layer of the homemade mashed potatoes as the bottom layer.
- Next, add the corn as the second layer over the mashed potatoes.
- Arrange the Tyson Any’tizers Popcorn Chicken over the corn as the third layer.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese evenly over the chicken.
Prepare the Gravy:
- In a small saucepan, combine the beef or chicken broth and flour. Whisk together until there are no lumps.
- Heat the saucepan over medium heat and continue to whisk until the mixture thickens and begins to simmer. Season the gravy with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the gravy is ready, pour it over the casserole, covering the chicken, corn, and cheese.
- Place the casserole in the preheated oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly, and the casserole is heated through.
- If you’d like a slightly browned top, you can broil the casserole for a few minutes, but be sure to keep a close eye on it to prevent burning.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
Serve your Homemade KFC Famous Bowl Casserole with all the comforting layers, and enjoy the delicious combination of flavors and textures!
Here are some popular questions and answers related to this Homemade KFC Famous Bowl Casserole recipe:
Q1: Can I use instant mashed potatoes instead of making homemade mashed potatoes?
A1: Yes, you can use instant mashed potatoes to save time. Simply prepare them according to the package instructions and use them as the base layer for the casserole.
Q2: Is there a vegetarian version of this casserole?
A2: Yes, you can make a vegetarian version by omitting the Tyson Any’tizers Popcorn Chicken and using a vegetarian or plant-based alternative. You can also use vegetable broth for the gravy.
Q3: Can I make this casserole ahead of time and reheat it?
A3: Yes, you can assemble the casserole ahead of time and refrigerate it. When ready to serve, bake it as instructed in the recipe. Keep in mind that you may need to add a few extra minutes to the baking time if it’s cold from the refrigerator.
Q4: What can I serve as a side dish with this casserole?
A4: This casserole is quite filling on its own, but you can serve it with a simple side salad or steamed vegetables to balance the meal.
Q5: Can I use a different type of cheese in the casserole?
A5: Yes, you can use your favorite cheese or a combination of cheeses in this casserole. Cheddar cheese provides a classic flavor, but you can experiment with different cheeses to suit your taste.
Q6: Is there a healthier version of this recipe?
A6: If you’re looking for a healthier option, you can make some substitutions, like using reduced-fat cheese, baked chicken instead of fried, and low-fat milk in the mashed potatoes. You can also incorporate more vegetables for added nutrition.
Q7: Can I use turkey or pork gravy instead of beef or chicken gravy?
A7: Yes, you can use turkey or pork gravy if you prefer those flavors. The choice of gravy can influence the overall taste of the casserole.
Q8: Can I use leftover chicken instead of Tyson Any’tizers Popcorn Chicken?
A8: Absolutely! Leftover cooked chicken can be a great alternative. Just shred or chop it and use it as a layer in the casserole.
Q9: What can I do if the casserole turns out too dry?
A9: If the casserole seems dry, you can make extra gravy or add a drizzle of melted butter before serving to moisten it up.
Q10: Can I make a larger or smaller batch of this casserole?
A10: Yes, you can adjust the quantities to make a larger or smaller batch based on your needs. Just be mindful of the baking time, as it may vary slightly depending on the size of the casserole.