- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cans of your choice (cream of mushroom, cream of celery, or cream of chicken)
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 2 cups water
- Shredded cheese (optional, for topping)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Buttered toast or garlic bread (for serving)
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Brown the Ground Beef: In a large skillet, cook the ground beef over medium heat until it’s browned. You can drain the excess grease if desired.
- Prepare the Casserole Mixture: In a large mixing bowl, combine the cans of your choice (cream of mushroom, celery, or chicken soup) with the rice and water. Mix them together until well combined.
- Add the Cooked Ground Beef: Once the ground beef is cooked, add it to the mixture in the bowl. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Transfer to a Baking Dish: Pour the mixture into a 9×13-inch baking dish, spreading it out evenly.
- Bake in the Oven: Cover the baking dish with foil and place it in the preheated oven. The traditional recipe suggests cooking for 90 minutes, but you can check it after 45-60 minutes. The casserole should be ready when the rice is fully cooked and the top is set.
- Optional Cheese Topping: If desired, you can sprinkle shredded cheese over the top of the casserole during the last 10 minutes of baking, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve: Once the casserole is done, remove it from the oven. Allow it to cool for a few minutes, and then serve with buttered toast or garlic bread. Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- You can customize this casserole by adding vegetables like carrots or celery chunks, as suggested in the recipe.
- For extra flavor, consider adding some garlic powder, onion powder, or herbs like thyme or parsley to the mixture.
This Cheesy Ground Beef & Rice Casserole is a comforting and filling dish that’s perfect for a family dinner. Enjoy!