Fry Bread Recipe
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the melted butter to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Gradually add the milk and stir until a dough forms. You may need to adjust the amount of milk slightly to achieve the right consistency. The dough should be soft and slightly sticky.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat about 2 inches of vegetable oil in a deep skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat until it reaches 350-375°F (175-190°C).
- Divide the dough into small balls and then flatten each ball into a disk on a floured surface. You can make them any size you prefer.
- Carefully place the flattened dough into the hot oil and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown and puffed up. Use a slotted spoon to flip and remove the fry bread from the oil.
- Place the fried bread on a paper towel-lined plate to remove excess oil.
- Serve the fry bread hot with your favorite toppings. It can be sweet or savory, so feel free to add honey, powdered sugar, taco ingredients, or anything else you like.
Enjoy your homemade fry bread!