If you’re as big a fan of KFC as I am, I’m sure you’ve tried their coleslaw, too. It’s really delicious and that’s probably why people have tried so hard to copy it at home.
I had tried several copycat recipes but none of them were quite as tasty as “the real thing”. But then a friend of mine gave me this recipe and said I wouldn’t even know the difference. In fact, she said this was even better than the original coleslaw! I had my doubts about that, but I decided to give it a go, anyway.
Boy, am I glad that I did! This really is the most scrumptious coleslaw recipe on the planet, if you ask me – and I couldn’t imagine throwing a BBQ party without making at least one batch of this!
You can make this faster by using store-bought coleslaw mix, but if you want to use really fresh ingredients and shred some cabbage yourself, it’ll make this completely out of this world!
- 1 large sweet red apple
- 1 large tart green apple
- 1 tablespoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 10 ounces raw matchstick carrots (about 3 cups)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- Core apples and cut into thin slices; cut slices into matchsticks (you should have around 3 1/2 cups julienned apples). Place in a large bowl and toss with lemon juice. Add carrots and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, yogurt, honey, rice wine vinegar, and salt and pepper, to taste. Pour over apple/carrot mixture and stir to coat. Mix in crumbled feta cheese and dried cranberries. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt and pepper, if necessary. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to an hour to allow the flavors to blend, or longer if you prefer softer carrots and apples. If a bit of liquid accumulates at the bottom of the bowl, serve using a slotted spoon.